Friday, January 25, 2013

Famous Lines From Famous Novels

Famous Line #1: Through the fence, betwen the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting.
This line comes from a novel "The Sound and the Fury", written by William Faulkner, 1897-1962. He is know for writing many other works, including "A Fable" and "The Reivers" (1962) which won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.




This novel is a story about a family whose reputation has declined over the years. The main characters are Benji, Caddy, Jason, and Quentin. It's divided into 4 sections, displaying different point of view from the three brothers and the author.

Critic's Review: Brook Allen. This is a difficult, complicated, obscure, and discontinuous novel.
Faulkner's works have been placed with the traitions of modernism and the Southern Renaissance.

I probably wouldn't like to read this book because of the amount of time it would take to read it,
due to the fact there are four sections. Although, it does sound like an interesting story. It shows the different personalities of each character. It shows how the boys are different from eaach other, because one is sensible out of the three. The other two are mind lacking in education and sensibility.
It was a crushing story.


Line #2 ...But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the forest, a little boy and his /bear will always be playing......
Novel: The House at Pooh Corner by Alan Alexander Milne. Mr. Milne published this book in 1926. He is an English author who has published Winnie the Pooh and a poem called "When We Were Very Young.
This is a story about two friends, Pooh and Piglet, coming together to make a house for a fellow friend, Eyore. They find a pile of sticks that they can use to build the house. However, when they tried to put the house together, they were unsuccessful. Pooh went with Tigger, a tiger, to tell their donkey friend, Eyore, that Pooh would be willing to let Eyore live in his house. Leaving Piglet all by himself by the pile of sticks, they returned later with their friend Christopher Robin and saw that Piglet had built a tent shaped house all by his little self. He also had created a sign for Eyore in order to help him remember where his house would be. The sign said, "Pooh Corner."
The critic's review shared that this is an example of a sequel in which there seems to be no let down and from all sides, one catches echoes of the most joyous reaction to it.

The reason why I would read this book is because it talks about friendship and how there are many ways you can help a friend no matter how difficult or complicated the situation may be. It is also because it is fun, imaginative, and full of adventure. Kids and adults would love this book and many more of the Winnie the Pooh Books.











2 comments:

  1. Great word choice.

    I love Pooh. I still have my first Pooh Bear. It reminds me of when I was a kid. Often times I would line my stuffed animals at the foot of my bed and choose one or two to cuddle for the night. From the looks of him I picked Pooh a lot. I think he is missing an eye brow and the stuffing is falling out of his leg. But I still love him all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post about Winnie the Pooh. We have all of the books and we read them to the boys when they were little. When we were in England, we went to the "real" Pooh Corner. The boys weren't quite three years old. It was a wooded area in a small town (Hartfield) near where E. M. Shepherd lived and apparently the woods were his inspiration for the illustrations he drew to accompany A. A. Milne's stories. There is a bridge over a creek where we played "Pooh sticks". And we climbed up to the "top of the forest" where there was a plaque commemorating the location where Christopher Robin left his toys behind when he grew up. I never could read that story to the boys without crying!

    If you'd like to see Pooh Corner for yourself, you can visit http://www.pooh-country.co.uk/

    Thanks for sharing!

    Love,
    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete